Tenant FAQs

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about becoming a tenant of Kalles Properties Management. If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please contact the office at (253) 848-9393.

  • When is my rent due and where can I pay my rent?

    Rent is due on the 1st of each month and is considered late on the 5th at noon. Late fees are applied to all payments that are received in our office after the 5th at noon.

    Rent can be paid online, by automatic withdrawal from your bank account (ACH), or by check mailed or in person to:

    Puyallup Office
    2702 E. Main - Suite A
    Puyallup, WA 98372
    (253) 848-9393

    Our office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. We are closed for lunch from 11:30am-12:30pm every day. If the office is closed, please use the mail slot to the right of the front door to pay rent, and please be sure the envelope is properly labeled. Please specify your rental address in the memo field of your check.

  • What are acceptable forms of rent payment?

    Acceptable forms of rent payment are: Automatic Withdraw from your bank account (ACH), Online Payment (Tenant Portal), Personal Checks (from a tenant), Cashier’s Checks, or Money Orders. Cash is not accepted.

  • How do I make a request for a maintenance problem?

    All maintenance requests must be made through a maintenance request.


    You can visit our Puyallup office and fill out a Maintenance Request Form.

  • How long should I plan to wait to hear back from someone regarding a maintenance problem?

    In a non-emergency situation, please allow three days. If you have not heard from our office in five days, please contact us.

  • In the case of an emergency at home, what do I do?

    If this is an after-hours emergency, please call our 24-hour emergency line at 253-858-9393 and follow the prompts (Examples of emergencies are active water leaking, flooding, heater not working, fire, gas odors etc. Items such as dishwasher problems or a burner out are not considered emergencies.)

    **For FIRE, GAS or Natural Disasters, call 911 FIRST**
  • What am I responsible for maintaining in my home?

    You are responsible for maintaining heating filters and fresh smoke detector and CO2 detector batteries at all times. This may mean changing them at least twice each year or more frequently as needed. Light bulbs that are easily accessible also need to be maintained by the residents. In most situations, yard maintenance may be required. Please refer to your individual residential lease.
  • Do I need approval to paint or change something in the home I am renting?

    Any and all changes or modifications to the property must be requested in writing to Kalles Property Management for approval before any changes are made.
  • Do I need renter's insurance?

    Yes, all renters need insurance. As Tenants / Renters you are not homeowners, but you still have exposure to many of the same types of losses. That is why there is a special type of homeowner’s insurance called tenant’s or renter’s insurance. Landlord’s / Owner’s insurance does not cover tenant for personal loss or liability.

    First and foremost, tenants should be aware of their personal property is not covered by the landlord’s insurance policy. Tenants are responsible for obtaining insurance for their personal property if they want to be covered in the event of fire, theft, or other type of loss.

    • At home or away...
      These are other types of loss that renter’s insurance protects against include, in addition to fire and theft, a range of other losses or perils. A significant benefit is that renter’s insurance covers personal property whether that property is damaged or stolen in the tenant’s own rental unit or in another location.
    • Weather or not...
      In most policies, renter’s insurance provides coverage for damage caused by windstorms, hail, explosions, vandalism, riot or civil disturbance, and even a volcano! It’s important to note that damage caused by an earthquake or flood must be purchased separately with an endorsement to the renter’s policy or an additional policy.
    • Category Limits for valuables…
      Like other types of homeowner’s insurance, a renter’s policy also limits coverage for some categories of personal property, such as jewelry, furs, silverware and other types of valuables. Tenants should check with their insurance agent to find out what other categories may have limited coverage under their renter’s insurance policy. If the value of their property in any of those categories exceeds the limit, tenants may be able to increase the coverage for the specific category on their renter’s policy, or insure those items separately. (If they choose to insure or schedule their valuable items separately, they may receive broader coverage and lower deductibles on those items.)
    • Liability coverage why tenants need it…
      In addition to coverage for their personal property, a renter’s policy also provides liability coverage. Tenants may wonder why they need liability coverage when the landlord’s policy has it. The answer is simple: because the landlord’s insurance only covers landlord liability. It doesn’t cover the tenant’s liability. Renter’s insurance covers the tenant’s liability up to a set limit, as long as the tenant did not intentionally cause the loss. Liability coverage isn’t just limited to damage to others or others’ property that occurs inside the tenant’s residence. It also covers legal defense expenses and the renter’s liability outside the home.
  • What happens if I need to move before the end of my lease?

    Please refer to your copy of your residential lease. Contact your property manager as soon as possible to discuss this situation in detail.
  • What do I do if I need to move out?

    It is required that you provide 20-day notice in writing to Kalles Properties Management. The Notice to Vacate must be received in the office 20 days before the end of the month (typically by the 10th). You can mail this notice or drop it off at our Puyallup office through the mail slot. You may also fax your notice to (253) 848-3532 or email it to .
  • What happens if only one roommate wants to move in or move out?

    Contact your property manager directly for the necessary forms to remove one roommate from the lease paperwork and/or have a new roommate added. Your property manager will discuss the roommate transfer fee as well as the procedures for handling the security deposit.